Saturday, October 13, 2007

Updates and Stuff

The results of the MRI were really good. No damage to the bones or disks of my spine. It is a muscular issue. More physical therapy to come. I'm so relieved, I can handle the work of PT.

In other news, this is really silly to be excited about, but I just kicked up into handstand for the first time (well the first time in 20 years). I have a thing about inversions...so it was fear, but I just did it here in my bedroom, and it was really fun!

I've been assisting M, teaching Mysore classes. I'm learning soooo much about adjustments and how to best teach the sequence, especially to beginners. I'm hoping to start teaching my own classes in January.

My practice seems to be slowly coming back as well. I'm currently doing through the Marichi's without skipping any vinyasas, and the back feels solid. My backbends are coming back, too. I'm doing morning Mysore again, after a brief stint in led evening classes.

Hey, anyone have any tips on how to work on opening the shoulders so the hands can touch in Prasarita Padottanasana C? Either while in the pose, or as a prep for it? Oh, and while I'm at it, any tips to come to Sirsasana with straight legs?

Hope you are all having a beautiful weekend. Namaste.

1 comment:

Arturo said...

Hi Elaina
Are you asking how to get the hands to touch the floor in Prasarita D, or touch each other? I assume the first, because getting the hands together is the first thing you do. I'm not an expert on getting to the floor. It takes time. Some people say it helps to concentrate on pushing the arms/shoulder out rather than down. But maybe those people have hyperextension of the shoulders. It also helps if you don't have tight hamstrings, so that you can be bent further to the floor. A teacher can get you deeper by placing their leg so that you won't fall and can reach the floor. Sometimes you have to separate the legs more so that you can get to the floor.
As far as coming straight legs into Sirsasana, I don't do it. I come out of it that way but not get into it that way. I imagine you need strong bandhas and a sense of balance - knowing when you have transferred the weight to the hips so that the feet float.
Cheers
Arturo