Thursday, September 13, 2007

Walking in Tadasana

After seeing the chiropractor yesterday, I've decided that I absolutely have to improve my posture. This hunching over at my desk, hunching over the lab bench, hunching over while in bed with my laptop, etc etc has got to stop...I realized today I even hunch over when walking! I am what my chiro calls "head forward". Granted it isn't a huge shift forward, but apparently every millimeter forward, the load on your back, especially upper back (ah ha!) is exponentially increased.

As a result, I have made a new resolution to walk in tadasana. This is really strange and even more difficult. When I place my head over my shoulders, over my hips, over my sits bones, over my ankles, it feels like I may fall backward, yet when I catch a glance of my reflection I am perfectly upright. I'm finding that my core tightens up much more...and I feel as though I'm thrusting my hips forward, but I'm not. And then when I let myself fall back into my old habit of walking from walking in tadasana, I realize just how bad my posture is...it is a dramatic difference.

Next week...sitting, sleeping, cartwheeling, showering, running, biking, in tadasana!

No comments: