Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fun with Yoga

I've put all my eggs in one basket. After next Sunday I will only be teaching at the downtown studio. The multi-location larger than life studio chain is not working out, too many teachers, too few classes, so I gave up my only class (Hatha) I was teaching with them. The energy of the smaller studio is so much more my speed.

So now I'm teaching the one mysore and two led primaries. The mysore class is SLOW going, in terms of getting people to show up. Most students at this studio don't know what it is, and are intimidated by the idea of a silent practice. I can totally relate, it took me over a year to get up the guts to go, and my first class was terrifying. I think that was mostly the teacher, who didn't welcome me or help me even though I said it was my first mysore class, but anyway. So, I print out cheat sheets of the whole primary series, and I encourage people in my led classes to try it, saying I can work with them one-on-one, but maybe that's scary too?

I'm practicing both Ashtanga and Anusara regularly. LOVING the anusara classes. Handstand, headstand, and forearm stand in one class, Yes Please!:) Also the heart openers are so good too, I'm hoping my backbend will open up soon. I do feel some shifitng, like more fascia pulling across the length of my stomach from hips to ribs in Urdhva D, soreness across my chest from spreading my collarbones, and strength and soreness in the back muscles. Plus the variety in the sequencing is really fun.

My day job at the lab is really crazy right now, too. Experiments on top of experiments, I'm drowning in work. So this makes me finding time to practice more difficult but all the more necessary. I've decided that I will practice every other day, at least, and that there is no room for negotiation!

Hope you are all having a nice week :)

3 comments:

alfia said...

Hi, Elaina:

Yep, I can see, we are all stretched too thin (no yoga pun intended). I am sending you good vibes, too! :)

Tracy said...

Hey Elaina - hope you don't mind that I found your blog! I've been feeling the SAME way about having difficulty dedicating time to my personal practice while balancing school and yoga teaching! It was helpful to hear that I wasn't alone in that! -Tracy

Elaina said...

Tracy,

No, I'm glad you found it! :) Enjoy it!

And, no, you are definitely not alone :)