Sunday, July 15, 2007

Chicago. Part Deux

I'm back from a fabulous trip to Chicago. I have to say that I really do now feel like a bonafide scientist! My work was very well received, and it really was a pleasure to present it to my colleagues.

Here's a pic of this "momentous" event!


While in Chicago, I followed a hot tip from Tim and went to Frontera Grill for lunch. It was fabulous! I had salmon in a chipotle cream sauce and roasted potatoes with a bed of micro greens covered in honey vinaigrette. YUMM.

Here's a pic of the bar area:


It was worth an hour wait, thanks for the advice Tim! :)

I also had the opportunity to sight-see a bit.
I saw Millennium Park:

The Museum of Contemporary Art:


And the skyline from the Planetarium:



Also, my back is starting to heal I think. The trip to Chicago was really good for me. The physical therapist says that from what he can tell, I am "90 %" healed...so now I just have to be careful not to jump in too fast!

While I was at the conference, I got an anonymous comment about how I am waaaay too hard on myself and that this may be manifesting in injury, and the advice to order "The Mind Body Prescription". I have to say that this comment really resonated with me, as I am very in to the mind/body connection as a neuroscientist yogini. I love the idea that our emotions manifest themselves in our physical body, and that the condition of our body can manifest in our mind in a reciprocal fashion. I am anxiously awaiting the book's arrival in the mail. Also, as an interesting coincidence, I have been focusing on self-love and acceptance in my meditations lately, so this comment really caught my eye. Why are we so hard on others, and even more hard on ourselves?

Anyway, I plan to post a lot more often again, now that the talk is over. I was investing a lot of time and energy into it, and it was all worth it!

Hope all is well with you.
Namaste.

5 comments:

Tim said...

I'm glad you liked Frontera!

But don't be such a tease - catheterization; basal dialysate; ethanol time course; dopamine . . . we need to see that whole slide! ;)

Wayne said...

Congratulations on your presentation. Be good to yourself, you are worth it.

Elaina said...

Ah Tim, that information is classified :)! Don't want another scientist to come along and scoop me ! :) Just kidding.

Unknown said...

so glad your back is doing better! the photos are great too.

Elaina said...

Thanks Ari! :)