Sunday, July 22, 2007

Smile, You are on Candid....Yoga

I'm back on the wagon :) Yesterday I taught a led primary, went to an Ashtanga for teachers workshop, (which continues today), then this morning I had my first practice in six weeks. It was delicious. M suggested I do through standing and then back bends and closing. So I did that, but I did it really slowly, savoring every moment.

So the workshop was very spontaneous, in that I have been out of the loop and didn't know it was going on. I came out of the led primary I was teaching, and the workshop was starting, so I signed up and ran into the room. Today I will be leading all the teachers through primary. That is a little intimidating for some reason. But I am excited about it.

My husband and I have starting training for the Men's Health Urbanathalon in NYC in September. I haven't ever tried running and yoga in the same time period. I wonder how long it takes to start tightening your hammys and psoas, and quads, etc... Any advice on that ?

Ooooh, and while I'm on the topic of advice. I've taken on a client for private yoga instruction. She is just entering her second trimester. I have some experience teaching prenatal yoga, but not a lot. Anyone with experience in this want to comment on their favorite poses for this type of instruction?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just went to Laura's "asana for prenatal" special topic yesterday, I can make a copy of my notes for you!

Prenatal holds a special place in my heart, as that's what drew me to yoga in the first place. I like standing poses for building endurance, gentle lateral and twists for back relief, and any kind of squats or even baddha konasana for opening the pelvis.

CJ said...

I've been running and bending, and no problems there at all. I just make sure I have a very thorough stretch out after my run, sitting in forward bend for a while. Enjoy yourself!

Elaina said...

CJ, Thanks ! :)

Ari, Could you bring them to our next weekend? That would be so great! Thank you:)