Thursday, May 10, 2007

Injuries and Openings....

I have a funny feeling in my upper back on the left side of my spine...not enough pain yet to be an injury, so I'll just refer to it as an opening... I was talking with Mary about it today, and she told me a story about how Guruji says that pain is "a symptom of the practice". I agree to a certain extent. Pain due to body changes and "openings" is totally fine, I think it teaches you to be strong and focused... That being said, pain due to injuries is not okay, although sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

I was given Baddha Konasana today. Very cool. First pose I've ever been "given". My mysore practice before Mary was not as traditional, so I went the whole way through the primary series. I'm trying to not be attached to getting poses, but it is exciting!

Teacher training again on Saturday. And then I teach my first class on Sunday. Whew, time is a flyin'!

1 comment:

CJ said...

I think that if you follow the traditional method, where you're at is where you're supposed to be right now. You can practice in safety and it's suited to what you need right now.

Injuries are not good, but some pain is bound to happen with openings. My physio friend says that people don't understand that it sometimes has to hurt to get better.