Sunday, April 15, 2007

Anusara: Nit-picking or Helpful Hints?

During teacher training I had a workshop today about teaching back-bends. I love back-bends, so I was really excited for this. It was taught by Christina Sell who studied with John Friend. She, not to mention the other teachers from the anusara tradition that I have had, is very very concerned with alignment and adjustments of every joint, and even the most subtle actions of those joints.

One the one hand I love breaking the movements and postures down to that level, on the other it sometimes seems kind of annoying. When I am trying to incorporate so many things at once, I often feel overwhelmed and lose focus in the posture...

Is it me being naive, or is it okay to sometimes just feel your way through an asana? To enjoy it and find what feels right?

Now, I don't mean to bad-mouth this class I had, despite what I've just said, I learned to open my upper back much more, which allowed much deeper back-bends in every posture we did. The techniques I learned will stick with me through the rest of my life. And I LOVE Christina, she is the most amazing teacher, super funny and friendly, and just the right amount of intensity plus compassion.

Just some random thoughts....

On another random note, I may have been offered a job replacing my mentor who is leaving the studio...weird....I'm not sure if anyone would take me seriously and want to learn from me when I have been practicing beside them, and I would all of a sudden be the instructor. I doubt I would react well to that....but maybe some people would !?

My schedule has really been getting in the way of a regular practice for the past (and probably future) few days. Not to mention a nasty head cold. Hard to do udjayi pranayama with so much mucus! Gross! Did I just say that? :) I hope to get back to it on Tuesday....

Here's hoping you are all feeling well and happy! Will post again super soon!

No comments: