Monday, April 23, 2007

What am I, Like 15?

I feel silly writing about this, but it has bothered me for a little while now...

I'm sure that it happens in other lineages as well, but does anyone besides me ever get annoyed with the cliquishness of some groups of Ashtanga practitioners? I've also been getting a really bad vibe from some of the women in my classes ... a cattiness if you will...

Now I realize that adults act like teenagers everywhere, at work, school, in the grocery store, and even in yoga class, but I do feel like it is a little rampant with Ashtangis... wonder why...

It bothers me more than it should, I start wondering why they don't like me, and how I can get them to like me....then I realize I am being ridiculous and try to forget about it.
__________________

In other news, teacher training was good this weekend. We've transitioned from lecture type classes about yogic philosophy, literature, and history to teaching asana. Only four months to graduation. Crazy.

Also, I think that my mentor leaving is affecting me more than I thought... I had a dream the other night that I was so late that I missed his last class, and I was really upset. I guess I subconsciously feel that there is something I still want to learn from him before he goes.

Have a great Monday everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It probably has nothing to do with you as a person, there might be more going on then you realize. Students tend to bond, expecially if they have been practicing together for a considerable amount of time six days a week. Give it time and patience, practice next to those you feel the most uncomfortable around and get to know them. More then likely the group you are referring to just has a familarity with one another due to practicing so long together. Also, we all have stuff to work through and practice brings up that stuff. If your mentor is leaving then those students might be grieving the loss and becomming more collective in support of one another. Keep practicing and it will all come together. If they do not know you then they do not really have an opinion about you, rught? We are humans and this happens within all groups at various ages.

Peace.

Tim said...

I found law school to be most like Junior High than any place I've been.

It's not looking like I'll be making it to Austin . . . too much other stuff going on :(

Elaina said...

Anonymous - Thank you so much for the insight. You are right, I hadn't been thinking about how they were feeling and why they were bonding, I just assumed I was being excluded.

Tim - Too bad about austin! But I know how you feel, I'll be in town, I work at the studio where this will take place, and I can't find time to go! :)