Saturday, April 7, 2007

Slow and Steady

Ventured out in the cold (37 degrees) and rain this morning to go to led primary. Took it slow and easy...some strength coming back slowly. Plus I usually practice in the evening, so I cut myself some slack. It's funny how much more grateful I am for my practice having had to give it mostly up for a month.

My husband and I seem to be perpetual students....or maybe just perpetually stupid:)...we keep enrolling in long-term higher education programs, straining ourselves financially and for time. We are known as "the busiest couple" in our family. For a while I thought it was because we were forced into this situation, but then I realized that we are making conscious decisions to do this. I chose to enter a PhD program, and then chose to enter an intense 9 month yoga teacher training program at the same time. He chose to enter an MBA program in the evenings while working full time at a job.

I'm hoping we get this out of our systems after this round and just settle down and enjoy the fruits of our labor for a while. I feel like I am always striving for the next goal, swimming against the current as hard as I can. I'd like to let go, and float, let the current carry me for a while.

This is true in my Ashtanga practice as well. My teacher was saying today during final breathing that it is important to relax and remove some of the intensity in your practice. Otherwise you are just tightening up and impeding your progress. I love the idea of this, that as soon as you give in, let go, and relax, it comes. Going to meditate on that for a while. Make it my resolution during yoga nidra for a while.

No comments: