Sunday, February 18, 2007

The rug came....and went

I received my first cotton rug. I was extremely disappointed in it....It was from a very popular yoga supply place that represents itself as being quality...I won't name any names...but this rug was loosely woven and floppy, more like a blanket than a rug, and it was shedding lint everywhere!

I've sent it back, and acquired a rug I am very happy with! So, my first practice with my newest rug will be today. I'm thinking I'll do my surya namaskar and standing sequence without it, and then roll it out right before dandasana. Usually the only part that slips during any of this are my hands in downward dog...so we'll see ! :)

I just finished reading "Tree of Yoga" by BKS Iyengar...I felt like it was very informative, despite feeling like his stream of consciousness on paper! His anecdotes speak a lot to his personality, which seems to be playful but strict. I do like the analogy of the limbs of yoga as a tree, and it is helpful to me to organize them in this way.

Reading this text, along with the Sutras, the Gita, and the Pradipika, has brought up a lot of questions for me. It seems like these texts are all encouraging us to still the mind and leave the ego part of our intelligence behind, but I feel like by reading these texts I am trying to use precisely these elements of myself to navigate my way through yoga...I realize that this is because I am a green yoga student (as I'm hearing we all are for years and years)...but I am having real trouble finding another way to navigate. My instincts tell me to analyze, intellectualize, think my way through it, but that is taking me farther and farther away.

My plan for the foreseeable future is to press on, practice daily, keep reading and surrounding myself with strong teachers. OH, and of course to share it all in this blog for anyone who will read it! :)

No comments: