Sunday, March 4, 2007

Afternoon Mysore

Today was one of my favorite classes. A 4:30 pm mysore style class with the teach. I arrived about 25 minutes early and completed up to balancing postures before he arrived. Only adjustment today was in Supta K. I was finished with my 5 breaths struggling to even touch my hands, and just as I was exiting, he was jogging over to adjust me...a quick "uh uh" from him and back into the posture I went. Today he bound my hands, then tilted me up by my ankles and began to bring them behind my head....can't wait to get this! Just a taste of it was so exciting! Any advice on it would be greatly appreciated!!! (Yoga Chickie, if you are reading this, I know you just recently got this pose, any thoughts? :) )

Another day teaching the hubby too! We did a few surya namaskar A, dandasana, uttanasana, adho mukha svanasana, and shavasana with yoga nidra. I'm loving sharing that time with him!

Tomorrow morning I am going to a 6:30 am class that I promised a friend of mine I'd go to at the South location. I'm excited because I like the teacher (M) a lot, despite the painful adjustment he gave me yesterday! I'm so glad that with every day comes another practice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

too bad you don't allow anonymous comments

Elaina said...

Why?

And, I didn't realize that I didn't allow them...I'll change it.

Elaina said...

It must have been a default setting, thanks for bringing it up! :) It's fixed now.

Yoga Chickie said...

Hi Elaina...I just saw this today! Sorry so late on the advice. Of course, I actually have no advice! I have been trying to master Supta K for about a year now, and while I have been given the next pose, I feel woefully inadequate each day in Supta K. My goal is to try to bind it on my own, but at this point, am lucky to bind with help.

My progression was from (1) hands were miles away, although ankles were crossed to (2) hands getting closer, ankles crossed, (3) hands touching, ankles crossed, (4) hands bound by the fingertips for half a second, ankles crossed and finally (5) hands actually bound, ankles crossed, but getting INJURED in the sacrum!! to (6) going at it more slowly now, binding the hands with teacher's help and not even crossing the ankles because to me, the binding of the hands is soooo much more important for my body. Within a few week tops, we will add back the ankles and see how it feels!

My observations are that the closer I am to my thinnest weight, which for me is about 105, at 5 feet 1 inch tall, the easier it is to get my hands to bind. But that is my anatomy...short, kind of straightup and down without much of a waist indentation. If you have a small waist compared to your hips, I think this pose is a bit easier. Ultimately, you do what you have to do for your body to make the pose happen. And sometimes that just means waiting for it to feel right.

I have also found that doing yoga nidrasana (not bound) seems to help, in terms of loosening up the lower back and getting the legs to go straight up behind my shoulders. I put myself in Karna Pidasana and then cross my ankles and come into the pose that way.

Good luck!

Elaina said...

Thanks YC! The advice is not too late, because I think I'll need all the help I can get on this one for a long long time! :) Since this post, I have managed to bind the tips of my fingers on my own, without the ankles crossed....maybe I should try the ankles first for a while....Anyway, thanks again for the help sweetie!