Monday, March 19, 2007

Hmph....that's me pouting :)

I've resigned to the fact that I need to take a couple weeks off from practice. Well, any part of asana that involves my right arm anyway. I won't complain more about my shoulder after this post, that's enough....but the update is that I will take the next week or two off, I plan to spend much more time reading, meditating, and practicing yoga nidra.

Moving on, my husband is almost able to touch his toes now, after many nights of forward bends! He emailed me from work to say he was waiting by the printer and decided to stretch a bit, and was surprised at how "bendy" he felt. Fun! Unfortunately, I've been a sore sport about not being able to practice asana myself, and have not been teaching him as often...going to get back on track tonight!

I had a thought yesterday about how my two value systems that I adhere to are at odds and very polarized. It all started when my husband bought a new car. He really needed one, his old car was threatening to lose its right front wheel while in motion and was worth less than the cost of repairs. He bought a brand new Jetta. It is beautiful, I started thinking about how I can't wait to get my PhD and get paid a real salary, so I can buy a new car! The thing is, I have a great car already, bought it new three years ago to take me through graduate school. It still looks and drives like it is new....

I realized that my yogic view on the world makes me want to renounce material possessions, but there is a large part of me that loves luxury! Finding a balance is quite interesting! I feel guilty for wanting things I don't "need", things I only "want". The other part of me feels that it may be damn near impossible to escape the material mindset in the united states, where everywhere you look it is all about excess...My two minds are duking it out in there, Who will win out? Only time will tell...probably neither :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking back i've found the richest experiences i've gained and the happiest i have been, was when i had no money and all of our possessions could be packed into one (small!)car. When i feel myself succumbing to desires for more possessions and the status they bring, i remind myself about the simplest, happiest times when the company of friends and family was everything. Perspective is a wonderful thing!