Monday, March 12, 2007

Insult to Injury

So mysore class was crazy yesterday. I wasn't feeling connected to my practice, and as a result I think I was sloppy...halfway through I was jumping through and my toenail sliced open my right wrist! Then I had some odd emotional reaction to the blood/injury! Usually I'm not such a weenie! I had to leave the room, sit down (the room was getting dark and my head was spinning), sip water, and collect myself. Anyone else had a strange emotional experience during practice?

I did go back in and finish which I was happy I did, and when I told the teach about my experience he said, (and I quote) "Blood, sweat, and tears of Ashtanga". That got me thinking... There seems to be at least two camps of Ashtangis...those that sacrifice and are proud of their blood, sweat, and tears....and those that feel that those elements are a little to harsh (maybe not the sweat). I am from the latter camp. I don't want to feel blood and tears are necessary to practice this form of yoga....and I don't plan to teach my students that they are.

5 comments:

Yogamum said...

Ah, the dreaded jumpthrough wrist-gouge! I've definitely had that one before!

I've had weird emotional reactions many times during practice. I don't think blood and tears are "necessary," but sometimes things just arise during practice and you have to deal with them.

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, why do you write "the teach" instead of "the teacher"?

Elaina said...

Just a nickname for him :)

Elaina said...

Yogamum, glad to hear this has happened to someone else! I felt so silly! Needless to say I'm keeping my toenails very short from now on!!!

This practice has definitely helped me learn to deal with things. I love how it has taught me that we have the ability to pick and choose what we focus on. Thanks for the insight!

CJ said...

I've done the toe-wrist thing several times as well, it just happens I guess. I'm well versed in "Blood, sweat and tears" from my years in extreme sports - I'm kinda done with it now though. Getting emotional? Hell yea! I don't think it's a bad thing though.