Thursday, March 15, 2007

What a difference a day makes

Here is that more positive entry that I was hoping to be able to write today!

I think my favorite lesson that yoga has taught me is that unhappiness comes from searching for permanence in a world of impermanence. I have accepted that the tides of change are a force beyond control, and that is so comforting when things are not going so well. I really have started to count on and believe in the fact that no matter how sad, tired, down, hopeless, etc that I may feel in any one moment, that the next moment will be different.

Interestingly, finding comfort in the impermanence is actually just accepting the permanence of impermanence....love it.

Not to say that I don't live in each passing moment. Paradoxically, that has become second nature to me as well as a result of my practice. Knowing that the next moment will be different allows me to be present in the current one without anxiety, and to really sink into it and experience it while I have it. For example, when my hamstrings are burning in a forward bend I try to really experience it, knowing that it will pass soon.

I guess what it all boils down to is that practicing yoga makes me more comfortable in my own skin and allows me to relax and take things in stride.

My shoulder pain is down to a dull ache, and I seem to have full range of motion again. I did a mini-practice in my bedroom this afternoon and plan to start with led classes on Saturday and mysore on Sunday.

No comments: